Whether deciding to join our department as a student or new faculty member, verifying a university’s rankings and evaluating data used to determine the rankings should be a critical part of the process. Here is a sample of our Department and University rankings:
- National Research Council - The Stony Brook University Department of Computer Science ranks 16 and 17 in the National Research Council (NRC) survey of doctoral programs. The NRC ranking is considered the "gold standard" of academic rankings because of comprehensive and objective review of the academic performance of a department. See the complete NRC ranking here.
- U.S. News & World Report (USNews) CS Graduate School and National Rankings
- Computer Science is ranked among the top tier (#40) of national universities by USNews. Read more …
- U.S. News & World Report (USNews) University Rankings
- Mathematics graduate program at Stony Brook ranked 25th
- Stony Brook University ranked #34 in the Top Public National Universities
- Phds.org, an independent website, analyzes data from the National Research Council, National Science Foundation, and National Center for Education Statistics and ranks graduate programs according to a number of priorities.
- Using their Quick Rank feature, the CS program at Stony Brook ranks in the 11th position with a survey quality rating of 8-45
- Ranked the Department of Computer Science 10th among the nation’s top schools for return on investment (ROI). Read more …
- The University is ranked 16th among public universities with the highest ROI.
- Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) – The 2013 CWUR rankings place Stony Brook University 89th in the world. Read more …
- National Science Foundation (NSF) - One of ten universities to receive an NSF award for integrating research and undergraduate education
- American Universities (AAU) – AAU places Stony Brook University among the top 62 research institutions in North America.
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance – Kiplingers ranked Stony Brook University in the top 25 best values in public colleges.
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings – Stony Brook University is ranked among the top one percent of all universities in the world.
- National Science Foundation – In the NSF-funded NAGPS survey where computer science graduate students and new PhDs graded their institutions, the Department was ranked among the top 10.
- Institute for Higher Education in Shanghai - Ranked Stony Brook among the top 150 universities in the world
- Times of London Higher Education Supplement - In a rating of the best sciences universities globally, ranked Stony Brook No. 76 in the world, 21st in the U.S. and 10th among U.S. public universities.
We are thrilled to see SUNY colleges and universities once again ranked among the best in the country by U.S. News & World Report, said SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher. “The SUNY campuses to make the 2014 Best Graduate Schools list are consistently recognized for the top quality and top value that they offer students, and rightly so.”