Documents and Forms

Rules pertaining the graduate studies at the Computer Science Department at Stony Brook are contained in two main policy documents, Graduate School Bulletin and the Graduate Program Handbook. Please study both documents very carefully to avoid costly mistakes.


  • Graduate Student Handbook

    The Graduate Student Handbook is the main policy document explaining the requirements of the graduate programs offered by the Computer Science Department. Periodically rules change and so does the handbook. Students are bound by the rules of the handbook that was in effect at the time the student enters the respective program or, optionally, by the rules of the latest handbook. Older editions of the handbook are also available below. 

    Old Graduate Handbooks: Fall 2017,  Fall 2016,  Fall 2015,  Spring 2013,   Fall 2012,   Fall 2011,   Fall 2010,   Fall 2009,   Fall 2008,   Fall 2006,   Spring 2006,   Fall 2005

  • Graduate School Bulletin

    Graduate Bulletin from the Graduate School.

  • Visa and Immigration Services (VIS)
    International students should keep in touch with this office. Here you will get help and consultation regarding many issues such as visas, practical training, travel abroad, maintaining your immigration status, taxes, insurance, etc.
  • Graduate School Forms 
    At this site you can download many common forms such as retroactive add/drop, withdrawal, course retake, credit transfer, etc. These set of forms are common for all graduate programs and not specific to Computer Science. 


  • M.S. Basic Project Approval Form
    This is CSE 522 Basic Project in Computer Science Approval Form. Please fill out the attached form and get it signed by the instructor of the class and turn it in to the Graduate Program Coordinator for your file. You will then receive permission to enroll in the requested section.
  • M.S. Advanced Project Approval Form
    This is a form to request permission to enroll in CSE 523, Advanced Project in Computer Science. Please fill out the attached form, get it signed by the project advisor, and turn it in to the Graduate Program Coordinator.  The Graduate Program Coordinator will then give you permission to enroll in the requested section.  If you already obtained permission to enroll from one advisor and want to change advisors, you need to get the signatures of both your old and new advisors.
  • Permission to Enroll in a Computer Science Course
    Students seeking to enroll in a Computer Science or Information Systems course must obtain permission of the instructor. The signed form should be Graduate Program Coordinator of Computer Science. Note: that there is a separate form to get permission to enroll in CSE 587.
  • M.S. Proficiency Plan
    M.S. students who are admitted with certain undergraduate proficiency requirements, need to prepare this plan together with the Graduate Academic Adviser (GAA), to decide which CSE undergraduate courses should be taken and in which semester. 
  • Permission to take CSE 587
    Taking an undergraduate course under the CSE 587 designation requires an approval of the Graduate Academic Advisor or Graduate Program Director and also the course instructor. 
  • Ph.D. Research Proficiency Examination (RPE) form
    You could also download (RPE) form in MS Word format. Prior to taking an RPE, students must download and fill out this form.In the document you must fill in your name, date of the exam, and the names of the members of your RPE committee. For those using the LaTeX format of the form the instructions for filling out and printing the form appear at the top of the LaTeX document. Once the form is filled out, print it and give it to the Chair of your RPE committee. 
  • Doctoral Defense Announcement Form
    This form must be filled out electronically (MS Word) by Ph.D. students 4 weeks before Thesis Defense. The form should then be sent by email to the Computer Science Graduate Program Director.


[Download Adobe Reader to view PDF.]